If you’ve ever bought something from us instore, you’re likely familiar with our “hand-wash and line-dry” spiel.
I’m a strong believer in taking care of my things because I want them to last. I’m an even bigger believer in taking care of my expensive things because I need them to last. I know hand-washing feels like a mammoth task on top of everything else you’ve got going on in your day-to-day life but let me assure you 1.) it’s worth it 2.) it actually doesn’t require as much effort as you might think and 3.) if you’re trapped in your house without much to do right now, maybe it’s finally time you start practicing some lingerie care (after your self care of course).
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to care for your favorite Lille (and other delicate) pieces
- Fill your sink or a bucket with cold water and add 1–2 capfuls of delicate/handwash detergent—we at Lille love The Laundress Delicate Wash.
TIP: If your pieces are a little more on the heavily soiled side, use lukewarm (think body temperature!) water instead of cold.
- Once you’ve got your soapy water, you’re ready to add your delicates! I recommend washing lights and darks separately (you can never be too careful!) Submerge the pieces and make sure everything is completely saturated.
- Use both hands to gently agitate the water for a moment then leave to soak for about 10–15 minutes depending on soil level.
TIP: Use this time to congratulate yourself for taking great care of your things, go you! Happy dance, self high-fives, streamers etc.
- Now it’s time to do some targeted cleaning. Pay special attention to bra ‘wings’ (the part that touches your armpit) and straps as well as the gussets (crotch area) of panties. I use The Laundress Wash & Stain Bar on these spots and gently rub with my fingers to work up a nice lather.
TIP: If you don’t have a Wash & Stain Bar—get one! The formula is gentle enough for delicates but packs a punch on stains (we all get makeup on our silk blouses). But if you don’t have one at the time of your washing, an extra drop of whatever detergent you’re using will work.
- Lightly agitate in the sink or bucket for another minute or so then drain the water. Fill again with fresh water for rinsing. Swirl each piece around a little to make sure the detergent is rinsed out then drain the water again.
TIP: If things still seem a little sudsy, do a repeat rinse.
- Gently squeeze out excess water (do NOT wring out). Lay all your pieces flat on a dry, clean towel and roll it up to make a lingerie burrito! Softly squeeze to soak up any extra moisture.
- Hang or lay your pieces flat somewhere with good airflow to dry.
TIP: If you don’t have a clothesline outside or the weather isn’t great for drying (looking at you, spring), I recommend investing in a folding clothes rack! They’re easy to find at places like Target or Ikea.
- Celebrate! You just hand-washed your beloved underpinnings like a pro. Your pieces are now clean, refreshed and ready to make you feel like a million bucks!